The stationery you select for your big day will have a big impact on your overall style concept. Done right, stationery can make a very stylish statement, enhancing the entire visual experience. Unfortunately, less than lovely stationery, or poorly selected stationery can have the opposite effect.
Invitations are the first glimpse your guests will have of your wedding, giving them an early insight into what to expect for your big day. Stationery that features at the actual event such as menus, place cards and programs also plays an important role, adding to the overall cohesiveness or flow of your style concept and helping you to tie in your colours and decor elements.
Given that stationery choice is crucial to your overall style concept, we have put the spotlight on three popular wedding styles and given you some tips and tricks for selecting the perfect paper goods for each look.
1. Vintage Weddings
Vintage weddings aren't showing any signs of slowing down in popularity. It makes sense really. Vintage = classic and classic is always chic and elegant. When looking for stationery for your vintage wedding, think about the type of vintage feel you are trying to achieve. Is it rustic vintage? Shabby chic? Glamorous? When it comes to the vintage look there's a million ways to interpret it.
Beautiful vintage look invitations usually have a timeless elegance to them. Think:
- Classic, old world calligraphy, scrip or typewriter fonts
- Timeless patterns such as elegant scrolls, monograms and intricate detailing.
- Vintage look paper stock (avoid anything too bright or shiny).
- Old, weathered looking maps.
- Vintage prints such as pretty, shabby chic look floral patterns.
- Vintage style postcards.
Rustic style stationery tends to feature raw, organic materials and handmade details as well as recycled or eco-friendly card stock.
Stationery suited to a rustic occasion often features one or more of the following elements:
- Recycled 'kraft' paper
- Wood (a gorgeous alternative to normal card stock)
- Chalkboard type scripts and faux 'chalkboard' card stock
- Less formal fonts (often with a handwritten look)
- Handmade and DIY elements.
Like vintage style stationery, rustic stationery can be interpreted or tweaked in a million ways. For example for a romantic or whimsical rustic wedding you could add pretty, feminine elements such as floral prints or lace to soften the overall look or, if you wanted to add a little glamour you could pair kraft paper with metallic foiling.
Planning a modern wedding? Your stationery choices are most likely to be right on trend. Current trends include watercolour, ombre and geometric style patterns.
Modern wedding stationery could feature one or several of the following elements:
- Clean, crisp colours and styling
- Simple designs (generally modern stationery isn't too fussy)
- Bright colours (think hot pink, metallics, yellow)
- Modern type fonts - not too classic, intricate or swirly
- Modern, crisp geometric or chevron patterns
What style of wedding are you planning? Have you found your perfect stationery yet?
Loving all the practical ideas, clever tips & tricks & pretty inspiration?
SUBSCRIBE TO OH PERFECT DAY MAIL TO RECIEVE WEEKLY POSTS TO YOUR INBOX PLUS EXCLUSIVE VIP NEWS, UPDATES & SPECIAL OFFERS